Water Use Restrictions
(Prohibiting Wasteful Water Use; Ordinance No. 2008-1)
The following activities are prohibited within the District’s service area:
- Run-off: The use of water which results in flooding or runoff in gutters, parking lots, sidewalks or streets.
- Vehicle Washing: The use of a hose that dispenses water to wash cars, boats, trailers, or other vehicles except where the hose is fitted with a positive shut-off nozzle or device attached to it that causes it to cease dispensing water immediately when not in use.
- Washing Hardscape: the use of water for washing sidewalks, driveways, buildings, patios and other surfaces and structures through a hand held hose, unless the hose is equipped with a nozzle with a positive shutoff valve or other similar device to control the flow of water.
- Water Features: The use of water in a fountain, except where the water is part of a recirculating system.
- Super-Saturation: The use of water in landscape irrigation that causes run-off, flooding, or pooling due to super-saturation of the ground or soil.
- Water Runoff: The indiscriminate running of water or washing with water that causes runoff.
- Leak Repair: The use of water when the customer has been given written notice by the District to repair broken or defective plumbing, equipment, appliances, sprinklers, watering or irrigation systems, and has failed to effect such repairs for 48 hours after delivery of the notice.
- Cooling Water: The use of water for single pass through cooling systems. The use of water in new ice making machines and other new mechanical equipment that utilizes a single-pass cooling system to remove and discharge heat to the sewer. Water used for all cooling purposes shall be recycled or recirculated.
- Fire Hydrants: The use of water from any fire hydrant, unless specifically authorized by the District, except by fire protection agencies for fire suppression purposes or for other specifically authorized uses, including fire flow testing. Other authorized uses by public agencies include water distribution system flushing, sewer system flushing and street sweeping.
Prohibited activities as described by the State Water Resources Control Board:
- Irrigation During Rainfall: The application of water to lawn during and within 48 hours after measurable rainfall.
- Irrigation Runoff: Watering lawns in a manner that causes runoff.
- Water Features: Using non-recirculated water in a fountain or other decorative water feature.
- Washing Hardscape: Hosing off sidewalks, driveways and other hardscapes.
- Washing Automobiles: Washing automobiles with hoses not equipped with a shut-off nozzle.
- Irrigation of Street Medians: The application of water to ornamental turf (lawn) on public street medians.